Unity offers no prescribed doctrine or creed. Although each person who attends Unity church is free to follow his or her own path or beliefs, there are five basic ideas which comprise the Unity belief system:
- We believe in God, the one Presence and Power active in the universe and in our lives. “God is Spirit, and those who worship him must worship in spirit and truth.” (John 4:24)
- We believe in the divinity of humankind. Within us there is a divine self that the apostle Paul said is “Christ in you, the hope of glory” (Col 1:27). God is not created in our image; we are created in God’s image, which is spiritual. We are spiritual beings having a human experience in this world.
- We believe that humans operate under a law known as Cause and Effect — that we create our experiences by the activity of our thoughts. We bring forth in our lives that which we predominantly think and feel. “For as he thinketh in his heart, so is he” (Pro. 23:7).
- We believe in the power of prayer. Prayer is the power we have to change our lives, our thinking, our attitudes, ourselves. Our prayers do not change God — they change us! We pray affirmatively, recognizing and declaring the truth that already exists. “Whatever you ask for in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours.” (Mark 11:24).
- We believe that it is not enough to know the Truth — we are obliged to practice it daily in our lives. That’s why Unity is called “Practical Christianity” —it’s a useful, present-tense approach to the teachings of Jesus.
Unity Eastside was founded in 1994, and is affiliated with Unity, publishers of the Daily Word, and the Unity Worldwide Ministries in Lee’s Summit. MO.